Demolishing Houses and Outbuildings

Planning Permission?

Generally you will not need to apply for planning permission to knock down your house or any of its outbuildings, unless the Council has restricted this by placing an Article 4 direction on your property.

Contact a local planning agent or your Council directly.

It does not necessarily mean that you will get planning permission to build any replacement or to change the use of the site.

Building Regulations?

If you intend to demolish a building, you will require giving six weeks prior notice to the Local Authority Building Control before demolition begins.

The Local Authority Building Control may decide to issue a notice within 8 weeks on receipt of the notification to specify conditions that need to be met. It is likely that these conditions may include cautions to protect the public and adjoining properties.

Demolition works must comply with the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 1994 and a health and safety plan which the principal contractor will produce.

Building Regulations relating to site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture will need to be met once the preparation work starts on site.

It is advised that you contact your local authority Building Control Service.